Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
Parenthood is pretty much a 24/7 job. There are messes to clean, kids to entertain, and errands to run — the list just never ends. With so much to do, getting a healthy meal on the table — that the kids will actually enjoy — can be a serious struggle. The solution? A simple savory pancake recipe for the family!
Kids would eat pancakes for dinner every night of the week if they could. Instead, whip up some Japanese Pancakes that offer nutritious veggies but in a fun style that they’ll love. All you do is mix a few key diced ingredients — such as eggplant and cabbage — into a pancake batter and pour everything onto a pan to cook. Top with egg noodles, chives, and a couple of sauces and your family will be ready to enjoy this healthy spin on a Japanese-inspired dish, known as okonomiyaki.
Makes: 1 serving
Japanese Pancake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 slice eggplant, diced
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup chives
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings: egg noodles, chopped chives
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
Japanese Worcester Sauce Ingredients
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcester
- 1/2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- To make pancake batter, whisk flour and vegetable stock together. Add cabbage, eggplant, shiitake mushrooms, corn, and chives to the batter and mix everything together.
- Coat pan with vegetable oil and turn on medium heat.
- Spoon pancake batter into pan and cook until golden brown on one side. Flip to cook the other side.
- Remove pancake from pan and place on a plate.
- In the same pan, cook a handful of egg noodles until crispy on both sides.
- For mayonnaise, whisk all ingredients together.
- For Worcester sauce, also whisk all ingredients together.
- Brush Worcester sauce on top of pancake then drizzle with mayonnaise. Place egg noodles and chives on top.
Article Posted 11 hours Ago